Thursday, April 25, 2013

ANZAC Day 2013


Even though it is the middle of our two-week term break, many of our students attended today's community parade to commemorate ANZAC Day.

ANZAC stands for Australia and New Zealand Army Corps. 

On April 25 1915 New Zealand and Australia forces landed in Gallipoli during the First World War. 
The events of that campaign led to many casualties, but also helped to create a sense of national identity in both countries. 

ANZAC Day has been marked in New Zealand since 1916. 
It is now the day where we remember all who have lost their lives in any military operation that our country has been involved in.

In our small town a dawn service is held at 6am followed by a community parade at 10am. 
The Pipe Band (which comes each year from Westport) leads the veterans; the two schools; the scouts; and other community groups.

Did you attend an ANZAC Day service?
Do you have a relative who has served their country?

6 comments:

  1. Dear B4,
    Your celebrations are very similar to our 'Remembrance Day'service held on November 11th each year. We also wear poppies, the money donated goes to support war veterans. At our service, there are brownies, cubs, scouts and guides, as well as representatives of many other community groups. I am interested that you have school groups there even though it is your holiday- do you go in uniform and represent your school?
    Kind regards,
    Mrs Monaghan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kia Ora Mrs McKenzie,

    This week my class has been learning about ANZAC day. On Tuesday we baked ANZAC biscuits and they all enjoyed it and said that the cookies were yummy. We hope to share some of the videos of our baking and other work we have been doing in class.

    Today we made a comparison to Veterans Day and Memorial Day which is similar to ANZAC Day.

    I've yet to attend a dawn service but plan to attend one when I eventually move back home.

    Hope you had a great ANZAC Day!

    Your friends NewTown Kapai Kiwis
    North Carolina

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear B4,

    Yes I have attended in an ANZAC day service before.
    Yes I do have a relative who served for their country.
    Do you have many relatives that served their country?

    From your blogging buddy,
    Logan M

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear B4,

    ANZAC Day is a big day like Remembrance Day because you remember and forgive for the soldiers who fought for their life.

    My Great Great Great Grandfather fought in World War 1 and my Great Great Grandfather fought in World War 2.

    Yesterday I spent 30 minutes baking and making ANZAC biscuts
    for my whole family.

    Thankyou for the postcards you sent us, they were fabulous pictures and your class are very neat writers.

    Kind regards,
    Mitchell 4KJ

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello B4,
    I did not go to a ANZAC day service.
    Thanks so much for the post cards we all loved them they were so colourful.

    From your blogging buddy Shayla

    p.s
    Class 4KM and 4KJ

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear B4,

    No one in my family that I know of served ,but I know several who did and does.

    I have never go to ANZAC day [I'm in America]. Here we celebrate Veteran's Day.

    From ,
    Paul
    Techie Kids

    p.s
    I love your dough birds

    ReplyDelete